Bags under eyes, dark circles under eyes and puffy eyes are more common as you age. This usually is not cause for any alarm or a problem that requires medical attention.
But the last thing that you want is puffy eyes. They make you look and feel older.
Usually, they appear with aging. Because the tissues and muscles around your eyes weaken, the fat that supports the eyes moves into the lower eyelids. Also, a fluid may accumulate below your eyes and create a swollen appearance. There some other things that can aggravate the condition such as genetics, eczema, sinus problems, water retention, excessive crying, sleeping face down, seasonal allergies, lack of sleep and hangovers.
How to get rid of bags under eyes?
Fortunately, you can get rid of those bags under the eyes by taking certain dietary steps and changing your lifestyle and certain habits.
1. Reduce allergy symptoms.
Take care of your allergies and avoid allergens when possible. Try some natural remedies or essential oils. During the allergy season allergies flame up, and puffy eyes are inevitable for many. Try to catch and manage them before they start with some essential oils for allergies, or other natural remedies.
Exercise is a natural way to promote a youthful glow to the skin and reduce the signs of aging. There are some facial exercises and yoga is very beneficial too.
3. Take It Easy On the Salt
Salt, as well as all the sodium, is linked with high blood pressure and it causes fluid retention that leads to puffiness around the eyes. Use just a little bit of salt and the best one for use is pure Himalayan salt. Instead of high salty foods, opt for fresh vegetables.
4. Remove Your Makeup Before Going to Bed
Makeup can irritate your eyes, especially if you leave it overnight. Make sure to gently remove it before going to bed.
5. Use Neti Pot
Neti pot can help you clean your sinuses and flush out all the extra moisture from colds, infections or seasonal allergies.
6. Sleep Position
Sleep on your back to prevent fluid build-up around the eyes. Also, add an extra pillow under your head.
7. Take It Easy On Alcohol
Alcohol dehydrates your skin and your whole body. This causes the delicate area around your eyes to appear dark. Instead, drink lots of water. You will glow and feel fresher.
8. Quit Smoking
Smoking cigarettes weakens and dries out the skin on your face as well as your whole body. It also causes irritation and premature aging around the eyes.
Natural remedies for reducing the bags under eyes
Cold cucumbers are a great remedy for treating puffy eyes. The astringent properties and enzymes in cucumbers help tighten the skin and reduce inflammation. This remedy also helps to get rid of wrinkles and dark circles around your eyes.
- Take two thick slices of cucumber.
- Put them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Place them on your eyelids until they become warm.
- Repeat this procedure several times a day.
2. Tea Bags
Anti-inflammation properties from green and black tea help reduce swelling around your eyes and relieve redness and inflammation.
- Take 2 used tea bags and put them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Put the tea bags on your eyelids.
- Leave them for 10-15 minutes.
- You can repeat this few times a day.
3. Cold Spoons
This simple remedy helps tighten up the skin around your eyes and relaxes the blood vessels
- Put 6 metal spoons in your refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Hold the rounded portion of the spoon against your eye until it becomes warm.
- Replace it with a cold one from the refrigerator.
Same as cucumbers, potatoes are effective in getting rid of bags under eyes. The starch from the potatoes also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Peel one medium-size potato.
- Grate it in a clean cloth
- Put this cloth over your eyelids for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure several times until the puffiness is gone.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants. These are very effective in reducing bags under eyes and also keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay. Aloe vera gel improves blood circulation and reduces swelling when applied under eyes. But be careful that it doesn’t get in your eyes.
6. Egg Whites
Egg whites tighten your skin, help prevent wrinkles and banish under-eye bags.
- Take 1 egg white
- Whip it well until stiff.
- Add a few drops of witch hazel, which is a natural skin-tightening astringent.
- Apply the mixture under your eyes
- Leave it to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Do this procedure daily.
7. Cold Water
Cold water constricts the blood vessels and lessens swelling.
- Rinse your face with ice-cold water.
- Repeat this throughout the day as needed.
- You can also take a small bag filled with ice. First, wrap it in a washcloth and then place it on your eyes.
- Repeat as needed or until the swelling is gone.
8. Salt Water
This simple remedy helps reduce puffy eyes. The salt water helps to get rid of the fluid retention.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt with 4 cups of warm water. Make sure the water is not too hot.
- Soak cotton pads in and put them on your eyelids for a few minutes.
- Repeat the procedure for 15 to 20 minutes.