Mustard seed health benefits are long known. It is mentioned in ancient writings such as Sanskrit, dating back around 5.000 years ago. People have been using it to help cure colds as far back as Ancient Roman times. Even the father of medicine Hippocrates used it medicinally.
Mustard seeds are one of the most popular and traded spices today. And if you want to stay healthy or to solve your health problems make sure to include in your diet plenty of authentic, real mustard. The list of mustard seed health benefits is extensive as well as its nutritional value.
Asthma, Bronchitis, Sinus Problems, Cold and Flu
- To release the congestion in the respiratory organs make a foot bath with four cups of warm water and a cup of mustard powder in the cloth bag. Soak your feet in this solution for about 15-20 minutes.
- For soothing a sore throat you can try gargling with tea made of mustard seeds.
- During an asthmatic attack, massage with a mix of mustard oil and camphor eases the breathing by breaking down phlegm.
- Poultice or plaster made of mustard seeds people use since old times for stimulating the healthy circulation in the body and treating bronchitis. Make a mustard plaster by mixing 2 to 4 tablespoons of flour with 1 tablespoon of mustard. To form a paste mix in one egg white and enough warm water. Next, on a clean cotton cloth smear on the mustard. Then, put another piece of cloth on top of it. Rub some olive oil on the chest and lay the cloth with mustard on top. Leave it on the chest for a few minutes, but check on it! Mustard can burn the skin! After a few minutes take it off and wipe off any mustard residue.
- To clear chest congestion you can grind a quarter teaspoon of mustard seeds with a small amount of water to create a paste. Add some honey and consume it 2-3 times a day.
- Boil, for 5 minutes, 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds in a cup of hot water. Then, strain and drink it.
- You can also lower the fever simply by putting mustard on the feet and then covering with socks. It takes no more than 2 hours to reduce the fever.
- For heartburn, you can simply take half a teaspoon of yellow mustard.
Pains and Aches
- Plaster or poultice made from mustard seeds also helps in curing spasms and pains. Seeds along with mustard oil are traditionally used for rheumatism, to relieve muscle pain, and for arthritic pain.
- Use the mustard seed health benefits to end up your agony from a backache. Prepare yourself a bath that remedies aching muscles, including sprains and arthritis. Fill the bathtub with hot water and add 8 ounces of mustard. Mix it well. Bathe in this solution for 20 minutes. When you leave the bathroom, the pains and aches will either be greatly reduced or gone.
- A decoction made with mustard seeds helps in cleansing the body, especially if the poisoning is caused by excess intake of alcohol and narcotics.
- Because of their antibacterial properties, mustard seeds can be very effective for lesions caused by ringworm. A paste made of mustard seeds can be topically applied on a clean skin, washed with warm water, to help in soothing the symptoms of ringworms.
Skin and hair care
- In India, to stimulate hair growth mustard oil is applied to the scalp. Massage with a warm (not hot) oil, once a week, is a great way to get rid of dandruff, promote hair growth and relieve stress. After applying the oil, wrap your hair in a plastic bag and/or a warm towel to increase absorption of the oil into the scalp. Leave it for about 30 to 45 minutes and then wash it off. The oil is thick in consistency and has a strong odor so make sure you use a good shampoo.
- Roasted seeds in coconut oil or sesame oil make an effective cure for acne and promote a clearer complexion.
- To relieve constipation take one teaspoon of mustard seeds 2-3 times a day.
- Mix two cups of honey and four cups of water. Next, add a tablespoon of white mustard powder. To ease constipation consume one tablespoon of the mixture daily.
- This is one of the most widely used mustard natural home remedies. To increase appetite have a glass of milk combined with a few black mustard seeds. Consume this 15-20 minutes before the meal.
- In a cupful of warm water add two teaspoons of mustard powder and drink the solution in small sips.
High blood pressure
- Soaking in bath water combined with mustard seeds (tied in the cloth bag) might help decrease high blood pressure as well as fatigue.
Besides the mustard seed health benefits, in general, mustard seeds and mustard oil are considered as safe for human consumption when used in small amounts. Large amounts of mustard may cause gastric irritation and other intestinal disorders. It may also cause skin burn when applied over skin for longer time.