For those of you who don’t like the expensive, full of artificial perfumes and harmful chemicals, commercial fabric softeners here is a recipe for homemade fabric softener.
Commercial softeners contain phosphates, phthalates, and formaldehyde that negatively affect both health and nature. Procedure and ingredients for the homemade fabric softener are simple and cheap, and fabric softener is suitable for people suffering from skin allergies as well as for the delicate skin of children.
There are different varieties of homemade fabric softener, but this recipe is a favorite amongst fans of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) philosophy.
How to make your own homemade fabric softener
200 ml hot water
100 grams of baking soda
800 ml of alcohol or apple cider vinegar
20 drops of essential oil (optional)
(Tips for essential oils: tea tree, lavender, lemon, roses, eucalyptus …)
- Take a larger plastic container of around 3-5 l.
- Place the vinegar, water into the container and slowly add the baking soda. Do not add the baking soda too fastor you will end up with a mess. If you add it too quickly expect a bit dramatic reaction of the ingredients, and be prepared for foaming at all sides.
- After the liquid is “calm”, pour it into a clean bottle
- Add some essential oil by your choice, seal the bottle and shake it well.
- Before each use of this homemade fabric softener always shake the bottle.
- Use 4 tablespoons for one full washing machine.
And don’t worry; the smell of vinegar will disappear after the laundry is dry.
The laundry will be soft, silky, and fragrant and the best of all you will know what you put on your skin. Another plus is that you’re not polluting the environment and you also save a substantial amount of money in the long run.
Note: With this homemade fabric softener the washing machine remains clean from the limescale.