Sinusitis is an inflammation of the tissue lining the sinuses. This leads to an infection and can result in pain and mucus build up. When sinuses become filled and blocked with fluid, germs (viruses, bacteria, and fungi) can grow and cause an infection. Causes of sinus infections include allergies, a respiratory infection, a weakened immune system and nasal polyps. Luckily, some easy sinus infection natural remedies can give you quick and sustained relief from the inflammation and pain with no harmful side effects!
Here are 9 powerful external and internal sinus infection natural remedies and cures that really do work like magic.
This is an external cleanse and flush for sinusitis. It clears the nasal passages from mucus and other debris, helps to keep them moist and gives an excellent relief.
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda in
- 1 cup of warm, distilled or boiled water.
- Use a neti pot or bulb syringe. Repeat this process 2-3 times daily.
- mix ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of previously boiled or lukewarm distilled water.
- add 5-7 drops antiseptic Betadine to
- 1 cup of warm filtered water,
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt and
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- Use this solution for nasal irrigation. It actually works even better than the standard saline rinse.
You can read more about how to use Neti pot and its benefits here: Neti Pot Health Benefits Including Sinusitis & Allergies
Colloidal silver is very powerful bacterial, viral, and fungal eradicator. It is one of the best sinus infection natural remedies. Works by binding to the protein structure, which surrounds the bacterial or virus infection, and preventing it from further feeding and replicating. Actually, it quarantines and kills the infection.
- Take one teaspoon of high strength colloidal silver 5-7 times a day
- Take full strength colloidal silver and place 3-4 drops directly into each nostril.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that help treat sinus infections. It is an outstanding remedy for sinus infection. Taking apple cider vinegar at the start of allergies, flu or colds can help prevent a sinus infection from developing.
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of warm water and
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Drink this solution 3 times a day for 5-7 days.
Make sure you only purchase the raw, unfiltered ACV. This is extremely important and you can read more about it here: Only Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is Healthy! Here is Why
This is a powerful home remedy for sinus infection, as long as you can stand the heat! It quickly clears the nostrils and alleviates the inflammation and the pain. It is ultimate natural inflammation reducer and pain killer. Mix it in a smoothie every day or use the powder in your cooking as much as possible.
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 of hot water
- Mix it well and drink it 2-3 times a day.
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- You can eat this mixture a few times a day.
Garlic is one of nature’s best antibiotics. It contains allicin, a substance which is antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal in nature. So garlic will quickly clear up any kind of infection in your nasal cavities.
- Chop 2-3 cloves,
- Add them to a pot of boiling water,
- Inhale the steam for a few minutes.
- Repeat a few times a day until you get relief.
- You can also eat 2-3 fresh garlic cloves with one teaspoon of honey or just with water, or you can add them to your smoothie.
Onion is an outstanding decongestant and can open up your sinuses. It also contains sulfur compounds that fight fungi and bacteria.
- 1 onion chopped
- Pot of water
- Put the chopped pieces of onion into a pot of water and let it boil for 5 minutes
- Inhale the steam for few minutes
- Strain the liquid and drink it
- You can repeat this procedure few times a day until the congestion clears
Horseradish same as the onion contains high levels of sulfur. It works as a natural antibiotic and helps remove mucus from the nasal passages.
- Take a pinch of freshly grated horseradish
- Hold it in your mouth until you can feel its flavor, and then swallow it
- Repeat this few times a day until the infection clears.
Ginger has anti-mucous, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and antiviral properties that help treat sinus infections.
- Take a two-inch piece of fresh ginger root and cut it into slices
- Boil the slices in 1 cup of water on low heat for about 10 minutes
- Let it cool down for 15 minutes and strain the solution
- Mix some lemon juice and honey in it
- Drink this tea a few times a day for about a week or until you get the desired results.
This essential oil has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. It works as immune-booster and is also a great antioxidant.
- Bring a pot of water to steaming temperature and add 2-3 of drops of oregano oil. Inhale the steam to open up the sinuses and clear the congestion.
- Mix 2-3 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water. You can drink this solution twice a day.
- Put 2-3 drops of the oil under your tongue, and repeat this 2-3 times a day until you get positive results.